The article titled “The Impact of Compression Clothing (gaming arm sleeve) on Performance and Recovery in Esports Athletes” by DiFrancisco-Donoghue et al., published in BMC Sports Science, Medicine and Rehabilitation in 2023, investigates the effects of compression clothing on performance and recovery in esports athletes, particularly those engaged in high-intensity video gaming. Here’s a summary of the key points from the article:
Background and Introduction:
- The study focuses on the use of compression clothing, specifically upper body compression sleeves, in esports athletes who engage in intense video gaming.
- Esports athletes often experience physical strain and fatigue due to repetitive hand, wrist, and arm movements.
- Previous research has shown that compression clothing can enhance muscle oxygenation and reduce fatigue in other athletic activities.
- The study involved esports athletes who regularly played video games competitively.
- Participants wore upper body compression sleeves during gaming sessions.
- Near-infrared spectrometry was used to measure muscle oxygen saturation (SmO2).
- Performance metrics, including Action Moves per Minute (APM), Kills Per Second (KPS), and Time To Kill (TTK), were collected.
- The study found that wearing upper body compression sleeves during high-intensity gaming sessions had a positive impact on performance.
- Esports athletes reported reduced fatigue, improved muscle oxygen recovery, and better gaming performance while wearing compression sleeves.
- Compression wear was particularly beneficial for individuals who played video games regularly and competitively.
- A majority of participants expressed a willingness to wear compression clothing if recommended by a professional or coach.
- Many participants felt that compression clothing had a positive impact on their performance, while a smaller percentage reported a negative impact.
- The majority of participants indicated that they would consider wearing compression clothing in the future.
- Some participants reported enjoying the experience of wearing compression clothing during gaming.
Limitations and Future Research:
- The study had limitations, such as focusing on acute effects rather than long-term recovery.
- Not all muscles associated with gaming movements could be measured using near-infrared spectrometry.
- The study did not account for the placebo effect of wearing compression clothing.
- The study supports the hypothesis that wearing upper body compression sleeves during high-intensity video gaming can reduce fatigue, improve muscle oxygen recovery, and enhance gaming performance.
- Compression sleeves could be beneficial for competitive esports players.
- Further research is recommended to explore different levels of compression and materials for compression wear in various gaming conditions.
In summary, this study suggests that wearing compression clothing, specifically upper body compression sleeves, can have a positive impact on the performance and recovery of esports athletes engaged in high-intensity video gaming, with potential benefits for reducing fatigue and improving muscle oxygenation. However, further research is needed to explore these effects in more detail and under various conditions.
DiFrancisco-Donoghue et al.BMC Sports Science, Medicine and Rehabilitation (2023) 15:108https://doi.org/10.1186/s13102-023-00720-5